Felt Hogwarts' Ties {Tutorial}

April 11, 2012

I fell behind on the Harry Potter craftathon, but I am back on schedule; and boy, do I feel good!




The invitations are nearly finished too.  I've decided to add one more little embellishment {typical}.  Can't wait!  I really can't.

In the meantime...

{A Very Harry Tutorial}

Step 1.  Draw a tie shape in Silhouette Design Studio and cut.  I made mine about 3 inches across at it's widest point and about 9 inches long.  I'd be happy to e-mail the design to you, but it was super easy to do {I know you can do it!}.

Step 2.  Trace your stencil repeatedly on the felt of your choice {I used red, green, blue and yellow - Hogwarts' house colors} and cut {duh}.

Step 3.  Cut 1/4 - 1/2 inch strips of felt in the corresponding colors {I used gold, silver, bronze and black to keep with the Hogwarts' theme}.  I just eyeballed it when I was cutting so there are minor imperfections here and there and not all the stripes are the same width.

Step 4.  Using hot glue, attach brooch pins to the back of the tie's top {I used 1 inch pins found on Etsy HERE}.

Step 5.  Use craft glue to adhere the strips of felt to the tie at about a 45 degree angle {roughly, of course}.

Step 6.  The glue should set for 24 hours to ensure the strongest hold.  Since I didn't do this project at the last minute I was able to abide by that rule {kind of proud, not gonna lie}, but if you are short on time you will be okay.  I would let it set for at least 8 hours.

Step 7.  Beam with pride.

I've got 40 of these super cute ties burnin' a hole in my Harry Potter supply stash.

How excited am I to see the kids wearing these at Maia's 6th birthday soiree?

Very excited.  I am very excited.

I've still got a bunch of felt to use for bunting and/or table runners.  What to do... what to do?

Love them, but don't want to do the work?  These ties are now available in my Etsy shop!



Check out the rest of my Harry Potter party posts!




Linking up to these fabulous parties:

14 comments:

Heather @ Raising Memories Blog said...

These are GREAT, Jennifer!!!
I would love to have you share them at my linky party here if you're interested! http://www.raisingmemories.com/search/label/sharing%20time
Hope you have a great week!
~Heather

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

I love working with felt...its so easy! My daughter would love these! Very cute!

I would be thrilled if you would share this with my readers by submitting it on my web site!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

Heather said...

This is going to be one fabulous party!! Can't wait to see it all together.

Live Laugh Rowe said...

Super uber cute :) Thanks so much for sharing at Live Laugh Linky Thursday! Happy Thursday to you!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Super cute idea! They would also make great package embellishments for Fathers Day! Thanks so much for sharing at The Mother Lode linky party over at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina
http://igottacreate.blogspot.com

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

Featuring you on the Blog today - thanks for sharing your project! Grab a button if you like!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Very cute!

SarahAguilar said...

Wow!
This will b perfect for my Girl Scout troop at day camp!!
I hate to ask, but wud you please send me the template? It would be SO helpful!
Thanks for sharing your genius!
Sarah
Slincoln16@yahoo.com

emegren said...

What do you use for cutting the felt? Just some sharp scissors or a blade perhaps? Want some smooth lines on those ties. Thanks!

Unknown said...

How were you planning on fastening the tie to a shirt? Great idea!

BizCrafter said...

We made something like this right after the first movie came out, except we used construction paper, was easier for the kids to do. it was very fun! we tried using felt way back then, but our glue was not strong enough to hold, so we then used tacky glue, worked great.it works nice on fun foam too. nice to see these on here. very nice! love it!

Maria said...

Hi.... Please share the tie printable with me

Unknown said...

Would you be able to email me the design? Thank you! dockadoo@aim.com

shazi said...


Game Fire Pro 2023 Crack
CINEMA 4D Studio 2023 Crack
WinZip Pro 2023 Crack
Driver Booster Pro 2023 Crack
Adobe Premiere Pro 2023 Crack

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...